Monday, October 17, 2011

East Coast Inspired Loo

Handy Hunk and I just got back from visiting the East coast.  He's originally from Massachusetts and I LOVED the beaches back there.  SO, I brought a little of them home with us.  We went everywhere. Maine, Mass, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Vermont.  Which of course was very easy to do as they are all very close together.  Nothing like out West where you drive for hours and are still in the same county.  

Anyways.  I had done our hall bathroom in Venetian Plaster when we moved in.  LOVE IT!!!!  I even got Handy Hunk to put up some crown molding and the chair rail up for me.  But, I had not yet put anything on the walls until I knew for sure what I wanted in there.  After going to Maine and Mass., I knew what I wanted in there.

I made the apothecary jars  just for this shelf.  I needed skinny ones.  I didn't want them to get bumped off...  I brought home sand from 3 Beaches = 3 apothecary jars.

















I purchased this shelf from Home Depot.  I didn't want to wait for a yard sale or thrift store score... I was too eager to get my sand apothecary jars up :-)  I put little pictures in each of the apothecary jars.
Showing each of the beaches where the sand came from.

Race Point Beach, Cape Cod

"Sea Gull Beach" Hyannis/Barnstable, Cape Cod

Brenton Park Beach, Newport, Rhode Island

My MIL had given me this shelf.  I honestly had no plans to use it.  But, I needed some shelf real estate bad.  Handy Hunk wouldn't let me put another shelf on the opposite wall of the one already in the bathroom because he probably would bump it getting in and out of the shower.... Where to put another shelf..... HMMM....














 BRILLIANT!!  Of course, had to paint it white.  And, cut it to fit the trim around the door.

The placement of "stuff" is a work in progress...


Pottery Barn
LOVE this shelf. Hate the price. Originally it was $449!!!! On sale for ONLY $269....
Notice the cute little Nantucket Belle boat?  I had a cheap little plastic boat already.
My Dad had purchased new scuba diving gear, so he tried it out in our pool
this summer. I bought a cheap little toy boat, in case he goes diving my
backyard again, he can search for sunken treasures. :-)










































Of course, I had to embellish it a little bit.  (You can't see it) But, I painted the lights on top in blue and red.  Then I painted Mass P.D. on the back :-)  If you notice the jar next to it, its Massachusetts Police Association. I just had to put it in here. 


Couldnt resist adding another awesome picture from our vacation to the countertop. 
Also, had an extra seashell.  Added soap and there it is... so cute.


The other wall.  Not done, but not forgotten.  I'm thinking about hanging a starfish in the middle of the frame.  Or mabe just a big letter L (for Layn, Loo, or L for our last name, they all fit).


OH, and the coral on top of the door shelf.... :-)  It was from Wallyworld.  Just painted it white.
















Just thought I should show you a before picture of the bathroom too.
We gutted it before we moved it.  Put in a jaccuzi tub, new tile, new vanity, new lights, new moldings, new water saver toilet (which we LOVE), new everything! 























I'll show you the Wilsonart tub surround later.  Handy hunk is going to switch out the window before he puts up the finished trim around it. 


















Nasty outdated all  in one sink/countertop.  Old cabinet...  If you notice theres only one outlet in this picture... Its so nice that Handy Hunk is an electritian... There are NEVER enough outlets in a bathroom.  Never.  So, I now have an extra outlet :-)  YAY!!!























This new vanity is extra tall :-)  I hate having to bend all the way down there to wash my face.  So, I got the extra tall vanity.  LOVE it.  Its from Home Crest Cabinets.  Love their cabinets. 


Linked up to: Sew Dang Cute Crafts.  (Sorry, couldnt find her button)

No comments: