Friday, November 4, 2011

Onion Casserole, OH SO YUMMY!!!!

Let me start off this post by freely admitting that I am NOT a good cook.  There are only a few things that I actually make well.  Ok, disclaimer over. 

I come from a long line of Oniontarians (yes, I just made a word).  In fact my grandmother will make a plain onion sandwich and it is so good.  So, when I ran across this recipe the other day Cleverly Inspired French OnionsI liked the idea, so I googled around and found this recipe at Forkable's Cheesy Onion CasseroleI just had to try it, but with my own version.  Mostly because I didn't feel like driving to the store, so I used what I had at home. :-)

I just tossed the cut onions with:
-garlic flavored olive oil from The Queen Creek Olive Mill (which is just amazing!!!)
-worcestershire sauce
-black pepper
-white wine (I had some Gewürztraminer already opened in the fridge)
-and a little bit of water

At this point I thought the onions already looked really good, but I had to go on...

Then I melted butter in a nice deep pan on the stove, added the onion mix and sauteed until the onions just started to get opalescent.  Sorry, I didn't take step by step pics, but you get the idea. Meanwhile I, took some sourdough bread that I had and cubed it up. Then I dumped the onions in my stone casserole dish. Putting the cubed sourdough bread on top  of the onions,

Then in the same pan that I sauteed the onions I put in:
-melted butter
-1 can of condensed Cream of Mushroom soup 
-a little bit of milk
-a splash of soy sauce (I don't know... the one recipe called for it so, ok, in it went.)
Heated it all up and then I put a healthy helping of shredded cheese over the bread and poured the mushroom soup mix over that.
Then I just kind of mixed it all together. Put some more cheese on top, for good measure :-).  And, I ended up with this:
  

















It looked and smelled so good.  I covered it with foil and baked it for maybe around 25minutes or so.  Then I took the foil off added some hand sliced pieces of Pecorino Romano cheese, that my husband just brought back from his cousins' awesome Italian deli and I had this:



I baked it a while again (I was also baking a meatloaf for my husband, I actually am a vegetarian :-) ) Then I put the broiler on for a couple of minutes.  Oh My Goodness, I ended up with this:


I am craving some more right now.  Handy Hunk told me that I should make this one again. Which is pretty impressive.  He is very picky about what he consumes.  The leftovers were amazing as well.  I can't wait to make this dish again.  Not because I'm a good cook, but because you just can't go wrong with Onions, Cheese, Wine, and Butter. :-)  Bon Appetite!








No comments: