Sunday, December 4, 2011

Tiling Around the Electrical Outlets

I received an email asking about how I tiled around my electrical outlets. 

The question exactly was: Did you have to move the boxes forward a bit so the outlets were flush with the tile instead of still flush with the sheetrock?

The direct answer is No, I didn't move the gang boxes at all. 

You of course have options on how to do your outlets. Initially thought we would use the bumper things, they're called plaster boxes, mud rings, and/or box extenders... the ones we bought are metal. They come in different thicknesses too. You have to put them on before you tile though.  This particular double gang box had one on for months.  Handy Hunk put it on there for me because I could not get the switches to line up perfectly, which doesn't work for putting on faceplates. 


They screw directly into the gang box, as you can see above. I just didn't feel like messing around with them. Handy Hunk, who happens to be an electrician among other things, didn't have it as #1 on his priority list. SO, I got tired of waiting. What I did was that I simply unscrewed the outlets then pulled the outlets out of the gang boxes in the wall.


Then I made sure to cut my tile as close as possible to the gang box opening size.

Careful not to cover the holes for the screws (I had to fix one little spot with my tile clippers :-) ) 


Then when I put the outlets back the little wings (on the top and bottom of the outlets its the metal part with the really far apart Mickey Mouse ears :-) ) could rest on the tile. So, my outlets won't sink back into the gang boxes.  This is where the 2" machine screws #6/32 went to work.  I used those to secure the outlet back to the gang box.  I already had longer faceplate screws.   So I used them.



This is what I ended up with.   Nice flush outlet and faceplate that covered it perfectly.

Hope this helps!   

16 comments:

ambet said...

it helps yeah. it is so cool doing Electricians stuff.

Kevin-Valerio said...

Nice one,the other alternate is to make plaster of paris and mix very less quantity of water paint of same color as the wall color,that will fix as well.

Thanks
San Francisco Electrician

Reena Jain said...

Thank you for sharing such a nice blog with useful information. I would like to know more about affordable electrician.
affordable electrician

Alexis Leo said...

Hello, I read your blog which I liked. You shared your electrical knowledge with us. I would also like to tell you about the best electrical service company in NYC which is Allstate Electrical Group. I myself have experienced electrical service from here, which is very spacious, in this company you get all kinds of electric service and also commercial electrical contractor, you can contact there for more knowledge.

Electrical Contractor NYC

StevenHWicker said...

Hello, an amazing Information dude. Thanks for sharing this nice information with us. Electrician Companies Near Me

Anik Howlader said...

nice post thank you so much
Electrician Kent
Electrician Orpington
Cheap electrician Kent

Zion Denial said...

I really appreciate the efforts you put in this article, this is very informative and helpful. Please keep sharing!

Electrical repair Alberta

Sidra Naz said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info. Electrical Contractor

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing the valuable information with us. It helps us to find the best elctrical services.

Rd Nelems Electrical said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this post. I am hoping the same
the best work from you in the future as well.
For Electricians in Bristol call us at 077 757 172 64

Quality Electricians Of Atlanta said...

Thanks for sharing and keep posting. If you wandering to find the best electrician in Dunwoody Quality Electricians provide a full range of electrical services from domestic, commercial, and emergency. Call us at 770-464-5833 to schedule an appointment.

HomeOps Electric said...

Thank you for this article. Personally, I think this material is great. I agree with much of your information here. Fo the best Electricians in Centereach call HomeOps electric at 631-509-2000.

Affordable Mobility said...

Great! your blog is very interesting and informative because of that this blog contains nice knowledge.
Fullerton Irvine electricians

Harold Hofstetter said...

Great content!! So much informative content you produce high quality content which is good for those people who can possibly visit your site. I love the journey of my research from this website. Electrician near me Click here

Best Electrical Repair Solution said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Digital Marketing Online said...

As experts, we strongly recommend that you carry out two types of inspections once you have shortlisted the property that you would like to own. One is the building and pest inspection and the other is electrical inspection. Building and pest inspection has become quite common nowadays as many buyers are opting for it. But as far as electrical inspection is concerned, many homebuyers are still lagging behind. Many are not aware and many feel that it is not a mandatory thing to do. But, we think completely otherwise. We believe that electrical inspection is a must and should be carried out at any cost.

Electrician in Leeds