Sunday, December 4, 2011

Tiling Around the Electrical Outlets

I received an email asking about how I tiled around my electrical outlets. 

The question exactly was: Did you have to move the boxes forward a bit so the outlets were flush with the tile instead of still flush with the sheetrock?

The direct answer is No, I didn't move the gang boxes at all. 

You of course have options on how to do your outlets. Initially thought we would use the bumper things, they're called plaster boxes, mud rings, and/or box extenders... the ones we bought are metal. They come in different thicknesses too. You have to put them on before you tile though.  This particular double gang box had one on for months.  Handy Hunk put it on there for me because I could not get the switches to line up perfectly, which doesn't work for putting on faceplates. 


They screw directly into the gang box, as you can see above. I just didn't feel like messing around with them. Handy Hunk, who happens to be an electrician among other things, didn't have it as #1 on his priority list. SO, I got tired of waiting. What I did was that I simply unscrewed the outlets then pulled the outlets out of the gang boxes in the wall.


Then I made sure to cut my tile as close as possible to the gang box opening size.

Careful not to cover the holes for the screws (I had to fix one little spot with my tile clippers :-) ) 


Then when I put the outlets back the little wings (on the top and bottom of the outlets its the metal part with the really far apart Mickey Mouse ears :-) ) could rest on the tile. So, my outlets won't sink back into the gang boxes.  This is where the 2" machine screws #6/32 went to work.  I used those to secure the outlet back to the gang box.  I already had longer faceplate screws.   So I used them.



This is what I ended up with.   Nice flush outlet and faceplate that covered it perfectly.

Hope this helps!   

2 comments:

ambet said...

it helps yeah. it is so cool doing Electricians stuff.

Mark Martin said...

Hey! You have such a nice page. I'll try to visit this page again some other time. Thank you so much for sharing this blog post. I'll be looking forward for your other posts as well. Before electricians are allowed to work without supervision, they are usually required to serve an apprenticeship lasting from 3 to 5 years under the general supervision of a Master Electrician and usually the direct supervision of a Journeyman Electrician. Schooling in electrical theory and electrical building codes are required to complete the apprenticeship program. Many apprenticeship programs provide a salary to the apprentice during training. A Journeyman electrician is a well rounded craftsman who has met the experience requirements for on the job training (usually 4080 to 6120 hrs) and classroom hours (about 144 hrs.); they may also have a two year relevant degree and another two to three years of apprenticeship training and have passed a licensing exam for their jurisdiction, be it state, county or city. They are trained in all phases of electrical construction installation in various building styles (residential, commercial, industrial, basic electronics) and maintenance of equipment after installation. All of their time is well documented under the jurisdiction of the state government in order for their time to be credited. A Journeyman is usually permitted to perform all types of electrical work except the design of electrical systems, although in some jurisdictions a Journeyman may design systems within certain limits. By contrast, a residential electrician is only permitted to work on residential projects with limitations (for example under 4 stories), and apprenticeship is typically four to five years. In certain states like Michigan, to go on to be a Master Electrician and then an electrical contractor, a journeyman has to work another two years past his passing of the extensive exam given and then apply to take the Master's exam which is another very rigid exam. Then they can apply for an electrical contractors license according to the guidelines of that government.

Your Trusted Middleton Electrician:
* 24/7 Service
* Same-day service
* Free estimates & Consultations
* Better Business Bureau A+ Rating
* 2011 Angie’s List Super Service Award Winner

Electrician Middleton MA